Monday, May 23, 2011

Lyndon Laseman 10K

Kerry and I headed to Henrietta early Saturday morning for the Lyndon Laseman 10K Fun Run....We haven't run a whole lot since our half-marathon 6 weeks ago...In fact the most I've done was 3 or 4 milers...I did throw in a couple of 5 milers...So last Sunday I decided I better try 6 to see if I could make it....It was fine so I wasn't too worried....Thank goodness I had no idea what I was getting into come race day!!!!

Here are Kerry and I red-faced and tired after we finished...He finished a whole 10 minutes ahead of me...But I was happy to have finished!!!!...I can say without a doubt that was the hardest run I've ever done....Probably didn't help that I didn't quite hydrate properly all week and the heat really got to me...It was already in the mid 60's when we started...And the temperature continued to rise quickly during the race....And the HILLS....holy moly the freaking hills killed me...I knew of a few...I've ran them before when training with the girls...But this 6.2 miles felt entirely up hill...I kept thinking surely that was the last one and then of course it wouldn't be....I have never wanted so badly to quit...At mile 3 I was really wishing I had signed up for the 5K instead so I could be done--haha...And then all I wanted to do was give up and walk...Mile 4 was soooo tempting to walk...But I've never walked---not once--during any run I've ever done and I wasn't going to start now...So I made it....I didn't make my goal...I really thought I would get under 1 hour...I looked down and saw it was 59:11 and I had no juice left in me...I tried to kick it up a notch, but it didn't happen....I finished at 1 hr 23 seconds...My last 10K was in 58 minutes...But I was proud that I just made it and didn't die:)

Here are my speed demon friends....I started out with them as usual, but man they can just keep a faster pace...Much faster....They finished in 55 something...So 5 minutes faster!....Angela finished 1st out of ALL the women...And Shea was right there like with her so she was the top winner as well:)
Here is Jennifer, Ashley, me and Leslie...So proud of Leslie and Ashley for completing their first 10K....I am so glad they didn't quit because it was NOT easy...I told them to erase this one out of their minds because they aren't all that bad---haha.... And here is my main man---the 1st place winner of his men's age division....He's such a super star...I wish I had just a little bit of his speed....And he was 5th overall in all the men...Awesome job!!!
But I am happy to say that I did get 2nd place behind miss speed demon Angela...She killed it..And I was the 6th overall female, so I was very proud of that....This was all worth it...Glad I didn't give up and quit....





I don't forsee us signing up for any more races during the summer heat...It's just too hot and not fun...But once Fall comes, we will be ready!!

No comments: