Monday, April 20, 2009

My Birthday Boy is 3!!!

3 years ago today we had our first child, Kohen Brant. He was such an easy and content little baby and is still so sweet and a pretty easy going guy. I just can't believe it has gone by so quickly and he just amazes me everyday. The things he says and the things he does. As I was leaving his room tonight, he said "Mommy, thanks for my birthday presents. I love you." What a sweet boy!
I remember he did not like to take naps even as a newborn. This is a picture of him in the hospital and when we took him home, I kept waiting for the newborn who slept most of the day. Well that never happened. We were lucky if this guy took 2 thirty minute naps a day. He just didn't need that much sleep, but I never complained too much because he slept so great at night and he still does a good job of that. But he does take like 1 1/2-2 hr naps for us now (thank goodness)
He hated all of these things. I had the bumbo, the vibrating chair, the bouncy chair, the swing, etc. He did NOT like any of them. This baby wanted to be held as much as possible and I being a first time mom held him a lot. He did use his swing only for naps and again those were pretty short so he wasn't in the swing a whole lot.

I remember having this little photo session with him. I stripped him down to his diaper and laid him down on this blue blanket and took lots of pictures in hopes of getting some cute ones. I did and used these for his birth announcement.
It's funny to look at this one. I think Kresee is filling out pretty good, but look at this chunk at 6 weeks!! Funny thing is that this guy only drank milk for like the first year of his life. He did NOT eat baby food. Hated it all. Kerry and I would spend 45 minutes trying to get like 1/2 of those little tiny baby food jars down him. We even would sit in him front of the TV and put in a Baby Einstein video (one in particular). I would try and shove a spoonful in his mouth and Kerry had the medicine syringe and would try and squirt the food in his mouth. It was crazy and we did it and stressed out about how our child would not eat. We would marvel at the kids we would see inhaling like 2-3 jars in one sitting. But he ended up eating better eventually. For awhile there I thought he would turn into a macaroni since he would only eat mac-n-cheese. Now he is going to turn into a quesadilla. Every day I ask Kohen what do you want to eat. "Tortilla with cheese in it".

And back to being a great sleeper. He really did wonderfully from day one and I was so thankful because I was pretty darn tired with him. He did great until he got sick at 18 mos. and then it became a nightmare and took us months to get him back to sleeping great at night.

And this is just one of a few pictures of him in his OU gear. We had to start early to get the kid to like OU! It's worked--he loves the Sooners and OU football. Kerry and I promised to take him to a game this Fall and he is super excited about it. I actually asked him tonight at bedtime what he was going to do now that he was 3 and he said "OU Football game."


I laugh at this picture remembering I copied my friend Angela. She had these same letters and spelled out Cameron, so I did the same with Kohen. And now I love that he has been able to actually spell his name by himself for quite some time now. We used the BINGO song to teach him his name.

This was his 1st Christmas. I remember how adorable I thought he looked and we actually used this picture to put in the "Baby's 1st Christmas" section of the newspaper. He could turn that tongue completely around. That tongue was constantly out.
Kohen got his 1st haircut at 10 months. He did so good and loved it. He still is the best kid when it comes to haircuts. He sits so perfectly still and he gets such wonderful compliments everytime.

Kohen started walking at 10 1/2 months and I remember how excited I was about it, but then it was sad because I felt he really wasn't a baby crawling around anymore. He was a toddling toddler!
He loved riding on the mower with Kerry and still loves it to this day. Actually we went to the park this afternoon and when we got home Kohen about had a heart attack trying to get out of his carseat because Daddy was mowing the yard without him. I love that he loves to do things like this with his Daddy.


This is funny to because he sat in these exact swings today when we went to the park. He loves to swing and the higher, the better. He still wants in these baby swings because he says the others are "dangerous". I just think he feels pretty secure in the baby swings.

Here is something that Kohen is known for: twirling my hair. This kid started this when he was a little baby. I think when I nursed him he would just reach up and play with my hair. Well it just continued and no matter what he had a hold of my hair. I can't tell you how many strangers in the grocery store or Target have commented on him having hold of my hair. And to this day when I'm putting him to bed, he still twirls my hair. But I have to say within the last few weeks, he has started twisting his own. Good thing he's not a girl or it would be in knots all the time.


I remember he had just got another haircut in this picture and just wanted to smile sweetly for me. He used to be so good at taking pictures. Now I can barely get the kid to look at the camera.

And of course he loved the lake from Day one and still thinks it's the greatest place. I'm so glad he likes the boats and sea-doos and isn't scared of any of it. He loves swimming in the lake by himself (we are right there of course). But he wants to do it himself. I am so excited to get him in some swim lessons this summer so he can learn how to swim for real. And he is so very ready for the lake this summer.
He has always loved being outside and could live out there. Poor guy has such bad allergies, but that doesn't stop him. And playing in the water is the best. He played in the water tonight with his Dad after they got through mowing. These were of him eating popsicles outside and making a huge mess.





This used to be his favorite little car. He would drive this around the house. I'm sure he would still like it if we actually charged the battery. Maybe we will do that soon:) But he is just happy and content riding his bike (really a tricycle).
I could honestly go on and on with pictures and stories about how much I love this little guy but I know you are bored by now. So I will just post a few more because I like them:)



So Happy 3rd Birthday Kohen. We love you so much and feel so blessed to call you our son. You make us so proud and it has been such a joy watching you grow the past 3 years!

3 comments:

The Spaulding's said...

These are great! Wish I would have thought to do this when Erin turned 3! You have inspired me to go back and pull up/post some of her baby pics:) Great minds think alike...Mike was doing the lawn when we got home from the park too!

ruth and doug said...

He is so precious! You're pictures through the years are adorable.

erin and dutch said...

you are one bloggin rockstar! im so impressed. its CRAZY how fast they grow up..people said that all the time but now i see why. what an adorable post! miss u guys. xoxo.