Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sweet Dreams Marfie

We knew that poor Marfie wasn't doing well when Sunday morning he couldn't stand up...He could prop himself up pretty good, but his legs just weren't working like they should...And his little toes weren't spread apart very well so he could get good balance...He had a good day on Sunday...I held him a lot...That night we took all 5 chicks out of their little bin so we could clean it and we put them all in a bowl together...I didn't realize how much smaller little Marfie was compared to the other chicks...That's him on the far right...But he held his own...They peeked at him and he would peek right back...The problem is that they all like to snuggle so they kept knocking him over...So I took him out to give him a little break...Isn't he precious??...You can see he couldn't get his legs under him....He tweeted a lot when I took him out b/c he really wanted to be near his friends:)


And this was his little sore...Kerry looked it up...It's similar to the umbilical cord...But basically they are attached to the yolk sac and then it closes up and separates...His never separated...And these chicks rarely hatch...Like 1%...So of course, Marfie makes it out...But I'm glad he did...

We wanted him to be able to spend the night with his friends and I even tried to feed him some, but he wouldn't take it...He just couldn't handle being knocked over and we felt sorry for him...So we put him in his own little container inside the big bin with the others so that he could still hear them and be near them, but he would be left alone....When I got up yesterday morning, he was asleep...They say he shouldn't make it past 24 hrs...He made it to almost 48 hs....I cried and cried...It was a hard day...Yes, I know it was just a chicken...But if you know me, you know what a heart I have for animals...Kerry buried him in our flower bed:)...Sweet Dreams Little Marfie

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

your story about sweet little Marfie made me cry! What a little miracle he was! It's amazing how the tiniest of God's creatures can have the most triumphant stories..