Monday, February 9, 2009

37 week Appt

So today I FINALLY got some answers about my sonogram from last Thursday. I called actually at 8:45 this morning and didn't get a phone call back until 12:45!! But basically they never got the report from radiology. When I did get there at 3:10 today, they had just received the report and Dr. Lamar hadn't even had a chance to read it.
Anyways, it was a long appointment. I did get "checked" and was a good 1 cm dilated and 60% effaced, so that's a good start. He felt everything looked good on my sonogram. I questioned her heart and organs and amniotic fluid. He said all those things were fine. I asked about lung maturity and he said that it doesn't correlate with her size. That at 36-37 weeks, lung maturity is good so that was a relief. According to the sono she is 5 lbs 5 oz (not 5.3) and she is in the 12th%. He said that is low but not horribly low. That they aren't too concerned until they drop in the 10th%. He said she might pop out and be a good 6 lbs anyways. That those measurements aren't completely accurate. And no matter what, whether she is 5 lbs something or 6 lbs something, that is still good. He said there aren't any factors that say "Hey let's get her out of there" because I am just turning 37 weeksand she would be pre-term. He said next week when I'm approaching 38 weeks, I will then be considered full term and we will take it day by day and if he feels the need to induce me, he will. So that was a little scary. I'm still shooting for at least another 3 weeks!! The sonograms can be off give or take 2 weeks because of all the measurements. I am just considered 13 days past my due date but still fall in that 2 week window. He went ahead and hooked me up to a fetal monitor to measure her heartrate and looked at the spikes (when she moves--her heartrate should go up). All of that looked great. He said a compromised baby is not able to have those spikes so that was good. He said I really need to start monitoring her movements and activity level and to let him know if I feel concerned at all. That I can run up there at any time to be hooked up to that monitor again to make sure she is fine.
I go back on Monday and he will do another sonogram to remeasure everything. The only thing he is really concerned about this week is her head to belly size. They should be comparable and they aren't right now. Her belly is small compared to her head. Something about all the blood going to her head to get to her brain and I guess the belly can fall behind in size if it's having to work harder. SO basically at the sonogram next week , when comparing to this 1st sonogram (1 1/2 weeks earlier), if she hasn't gained any weight and her head/belly measurements are still off he might be more apt to just induce me and get her out because I will then be 38 weeks and full term. But he said we will just see how she looks next week and go from there......

2 comments:

Tina & Scott said...

praying for you, Kendra!

The Mirza's said...

Praying for you and your little girl! Hey- email me at hayleylmirza@Yahoo.com. I had a similar type situation...it's too long to post on here. I don't have your email address!