Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Holiday Hustle 5K

I didn't know if I wanted to sign up for the Holiday Hustle at the YMCA this year or not....Since it was going to be just 6 days after my 1/2 marathon and with my hip issues, I was wondering if my body would like me very much....But I said why not?....This was my 1st ever 10K last year! and I didn't want to do the 10K and signed up for the 5K instead to play it safe...Surely I could go and run 3.1 miles....The Tuesday after the 1/2, I ran 2 miles and did an hour of Zumba and felt great...So I knew I was good to go....

It was very chilly Saturday morning...The low was like 26 degrees....Kohen had a basketball game at 8:30 at the YMCA, so I watched his 1st half then went outside for the 9:00 start time....BTW--they lost 12-4...But in their defense, I'm pretty sure there were some 1st graders on that team...Made our KG look tiny compared to some of them!

I thought I would take this run nice and easy...It was just one of those where you run 1.5 miles and turn around and run right back....Before the turn around, I was counting and realized there were only 5 girls ahead of me...So the competitive person came out...I knew I could catch the 3rd and 4th place girl and would be happy placing 3rd female overall....So that's what I did:)

I finished in 27:46 (new PR for me)...I was the 3rd female and 9th overall...And I got 2nd place in my age division, so I got me a nice silver medal!...And the best part was they were giving away door prizes...I won the last prize--$25 gift card to Academy...I was super excited about that!

Shea ran the 10K and got 1st place in her age division...She is fast...Ran it right under 55 minutes....I don't know if I could do a 10K ever in that time!!
I talked Ashley into coming out and running it...She was cursing me beforehand, but after was super glad she did it...She pushed herself really hard and was very proud of herself...And I'm always proud of my friends for getting out there and running!!

This was my 4th 5K and my time has improved a little each time....Almost by a whole minute from the City of Lights 5K 3 weeks ago!

No comments: