Friday, April 6, 2012

Rock N Roll Dallas 1/2 Marathon


1/2 Marathon #5 completed in 1 year!!!....Still can't believe I was ever able to run 1 and now I've done 5....I really wanted to go back to Rock N Roll since this was my 1st one last year...I think I will try to run it again:)
We left town Saturday at 1:00...Checked into the hotel and headed over to the expo to get our bib numbers and swag bag...Very disappointed in that....But we walked around for a little while and sampled some energy bars and drinks...Randi, Me, Jennifer and Shea
We went back to the hotel to meet up with Kara and Monica so we could go eat dinner at a yummy Italian place...The same spot Mom, Mike and I ate before White Rock in December...
We got to bed at a decent hour but 5:15 am wake up call was not very fun....Last year there was soooo much traffic and congestion to park that we barely made the buses...We got on right at 7am and just got to the starting line in time...So we were prepared to not go through that again....We were amazed that there was no traffic...We got over to Fair Park in a breeze...Got parked and right on a bus...In fact, we were at the starting line downtown by 6:45...Still dark so the picture is blurry:)
We were even the first ones to use the port-a-potties---haha....They were all nice and clean and non-stinky:)....We got a better picture once it was light out...The great thing is that last year was freezing...This year I was worried about the heat since it was in the 60's before the race even started...
Got a better picture when it was light outside:)....
So to the not so fun part---the actual race....Let me say the Thursday and Friday before this Sunday race, I had some tummy issues...Not very fun...Spent a lot of time in the restroom...But Saturday I felt fine and really was excited and ready to run!!
But it obviously wasn't meant to be...I went to the restroom twice before we began...By mile 2, I knew I was in for it...I've never stopped to go pee during a run much less the restroom...
So Mile 1 was fine--we ran a 9:37mile...Mile 2 I wanted to slow down and we were at 10:15...I was dying and felt bad but I told Jennifer I had to find a restroom---I knew this couldn't be good...So I thought after stopping I would feel better...But not so much...Mile 3 was 10:20...Mile 4 was 10:03...
Mile 5-Mile 9 were up hill so I felt we were doing well enough that if we had to slow down some, it would be fine...Mile 5 was 10:36, Mile 6 was 10:48....Then I started feeling pretty awful....I was super jealous of the relay people seeing the 1st leg was finishing...I so wish I was done...It was warm, I was cramping like crazy and I wasn't having fun anymore...My legs felt drained...I just couldn't push through it..
Mile 7 was 11:25...I don't think I've ever ran a mile at an 11 minute pace...But I was struggling bad....I told Jennifer that I would lag behind but to keep going...I knew I was going to slow her down...Her knee was bothering her from all the hills but I wanted her to go on....Mile 8 was 10:49 and I KNEW I had to go to the bathroom again or I might have an accident--haha...Found some porta potties and Mile 9 was an 11:08....This was when I texted Kerry and said I think I'm done...He said you quit?...I said no but I'm done and I don't think I can finish this...He said you have 4 miles to go!...And then he sent me this....They had both ipads out so that could see the race course and then compare to where I was by using the iphone locator app...It helped a little...Seeing her sweet face so excited to watch me...Too cute!So I managed to go at a snail's pace...Minus walking through the water stations like I normally do, I didn't walk...I might as well have been probably if you saw me b/c I was going so slow--haha...I was never so jealous of all the walkers...But I just wouldn't do it...
Mile 10 was 13:45 and Mile 11 was 12:33...I texted again saying finally at Mile 11!!...Mile 12 was 13:30...I told him I didn't have 1 more mile in me...He told me sure I did...The kids and him both know I can do it...Mile 13 was 13:21....The last bit I was at 11:01 pace....So I finished...I took one more bathroom stop in there somewhere but can't really remember...It took me 2:32 minutes to finish that stinking run, but I did it...I still got my medal:)...And I'm still proud of myself...Here we are all hot and sweaty afterwards....Man, it was warm...Love getting to do things like this with other mommies...We had shirts made just like last year that said 1/2 marathon mommas on the back and 13.1 on the front....
Runs like that sure do something to you mentally though...Make you feel like crap...Make you feel like you pretty much suck....Still had tummy issues the entire next week, but am better now...I have since run a few 3 milers, a 5 miler, and a 6 miler....So trying to get back to knowing I can do it....Signed up for a 10K in 2 weeks...Hoping I do well on that so I can get over my Rock n Roll funk:)
And I'm sooooo excited that Kerry signed up for the 5K...It will be his first race since May of last year...And first one since tearing his patella tendon back in September...Hope he does well and has no pain!!

No comments: