Monday, April 9, 2012

And the lightening strikes....

Well last week (early Tuesday morning of the 3rd), we were rudely awaken by lightening hitting our house....It was 4 am and there were some nasty, loud storms but the big boom made Kerry and I both sit up straight in bed....It's hard to even explain it other than our whole room lit up and it sounded like a bomb went off in our house...You just knew immediately you had just gotten struck by lightening...Our first instinct was to run and grab the kids...He got Kohen who was still dead asleep...I ran and got Kresee who was screaming and crying complaining it was so loud, the thunder is so loud...We took the kids back to the living room and that's when we immediately smelled the smoke and knew our roof was indeed on fire...I ran and grabbed my cell phone and my glasses...Kerry got dressed...We put the kids and the dogs in the car....And I called 911...We pulled out of the gargage and into the cul-de-sace to get away from the house...Luckily, and this I know is what saved our house, it was pouring rain...Hard rain where you can barely see out the windshield of the cary....Kerry went back into the house...The plan was to get his car...I stayed with the dogs and kids in my car....But he went and actually was able to get some of the lights to come back on and he waited for the firemen....About 6 firetrucks were at our house at 4:15am....They checked everything out and could also smell the smoke but knew that the fire was put out...After 30 mins, we returned inside and attempted to get the kids calmed down enough to go back to sleep...We had work and school in a few hours...Kohen wasn't too difficult, but Kresee was pretty wound up....She finally went back to sleep after an hour or so....Kerry told me there were shingles in both the front and back yard but since it was dark and pouring rain, there was no way to really tell where the lightening hit...Justin is a night police officer, my cousin's husband, so he came over around 5am and used his big spotlight but still never saw anything....
Kerry ended up going to work...I let the kids sleep till 7:30 and we got to school right at 8:30...I know the poor kids were exhausted because I sure was....
But as I was leaving the house I noticed where the shingles were laying down and looked frayed...So I snapped a picture with my cell phone and texted to Kerry that this is where it hit most likely...(this picture is after the roofer came and fixed it a little bit)....We had originally thought it had to have hit above our room b/c it was soooooo loud but it was on this peak of the house above the kids bedrooms....
When I got home at lunch I went straight to the attic and saw the damage....It did indeed catch on fire and I really felt even more thankful for the rain after seeing this....It charred some other areas too....
But again, so thankful that we actually have a house that's still standing....We were able to get the a/c back on and most of the electrical stuff working again...We do know that we have a blown TV, no internet since it fried the router and modem, the dish dvr boxes are toast, the sprinkler system is not working, we have some nice black stuff coming through our faucets since the lightening went through all our copper plumbing pipes, and of course the hole in our roof....
So it will be fun dealing with insurance and getting all this sorted out....Luckily, we have the roof temporarliy fixed since it will involve some extensive repairs...Kerry went and bought all the stuff to get the internet back up and running....We will have to purchase a new tv and patiently wait for Dish network to come out, and then get the sprinkler guy out here as well....
It was super scary and sadly we've had another storm since and I dont' think either of us slept...Felt like kids scared of the thunder and lightening...

No comments: