Friday, December 17, 2010

10K

If you would have told me that when I turned 30, I would run a couple of 5K races and then even a 10K, I would have told you that you were completely nuts!!! I am NOT a runner...In fact I really, really despise it...I've always hated it...Now I could run around and sprint on the soccer field for hours at a time...But to just run was not my idea of fun whatsoever....

I do remember how proud I was of myself when I was early in my pregnancy with Kresee--I would run 1 mile and then walk 1 mile and maybe just maybe run 1 mile again...So never more than 12 mins of running at a time total...And I thought that was huge!!...Which it was for me:)

This summer Kerry started running some and made me tag along with him at the lake...If you've run there, it's not the easiest...I was not happy about it, but I went...He would leave me in the dust but I would finish each time....So everytime we would go to the lake, we would run every day for those 3 days in a row...And sometimes I would even make it for 35 mins!...I couldn't believe it:)...Then when we got home running around the neighborhood wasn't so bad (compared to the lake)...I don't run all the time but just here and there...I still haven't got that feeling of getting in the zone and just knowing I could keep going forever...I am waiting on that, but I think I have to run a lot longer to get there....

We signed up for Race for the Cure 5K in October (and I did great thanks to keeping up with my friend Angela) and then we did City of Lights 5K in November (where I got 1st in my age group)...So I had the crazy idea of trying a 10K since there was one just a few weeks after the City of Lights run....

I really was getting apprehensive about it the days leading up to it...I've never ran more than 5 miles in my life and I had only done that much once or twice...Kerry wasn't helpful the morning of b/c he really didn't want to go...It was cold and windy and the race began at 8:45 am...But we went dressed all warm...Kerry promised he would run with me so that meant he would be going much slower than his normal pace...I feel bad about it now b/c he would have easily gotten 1st place in his age group but instead placed 3rd....I, however, got 2nd in my age group...So I was just hoping to finish and make it under 60 mins...I made it in 58 mins 45 seconds and got 2nd place...I was a happy camper...Here is the picture of us right after we crossed the finish line!!


Kerry got a huge blister and was hurting pretty badly the last mile or so...He was just ready to be finished....So now I think I'm even more crazy thinking we might like to try a half marathon at the very end of March!?!?!...I don't know if I could do it---running a 10K would be only halfway for the half martathon and that's a little scary to think about!

1 comment:

aria said...

You can totally do it! I did the Rock N Roll Half last March. If you can do 6 mi, then you can absolutely do 13.1!