Monday, January 18, 2010

Red River Ski Trip

We went to Red River this past weekend to take Kohen on his first ski trip.....We left Thursday afternoon around 2:45 and drove 8 hrs 45 mins....He did great....I told Mimi to not let him take an afternoon nap in hopes of him napping in the car...Well he must have been too excited because he was awake from 2:45 until 8:00 (his bedtime)....We only stopped once in Amarillo to eat dinner and then we made it there right at midnight....

My sister and her husband got there a couple of hours before us....And my dad and his girlfriend, Sallye....And then Sallye's daughter and her boyfriend got there earlier that evening.....So once we all made it, we hit the sack....

We woke up early Friday morning a yummy breakfast....My dad cooked every meal for all of us the whole weekend....We headed on over to the Ski House which was super close...But we drove the whole minute over there....We got our ski's and boots rented....And then Kohen, Kerry and I hit the bunny slope....We let him ski between us and ride that lift a few times to get the hang of it....We then had to try and side step a little ways up a hill to get to the bigger practice slope and he just wasn't having any of it...Had a huge meltdown and we just let him sit on his knees in the snow and cry for a few minutes....Then we moved over to a picnic table and he hung out for a good 30 minutes....So I went by myself down the practice slope and he watched....Then Kerry went and he watched.....Then he decided he wanted to join in the fun and "was just taking a break"....Kerry and I were very glad b/c we thought this was going to be a looooong 2 days....

He did awesome and stuck with it almost the entire first day...We would ski in the mornings, head back to eat lunch, and then go back out for the afternoon....The lifts closed at 4:00 and he made it until 2:30 on Friday....He stayed with my Dad's girlfriend while Kerry and I hit the slopes by ourselves.....The weather couldn't have been more gorgeous...It was actually pretty darn warm and we would shed layers at lunchtime....I think most men out there probably had a short sleeve t-shirt underneath their ski jacket.....I didn't have my camera of course but took lots of pictures on my cell phone....
Here we are at the top of the mountain.....We stopped for a gatorade and frappe break....And a potty break...We even had to take all our coats, gloves, hats off because it was so warm up there.....
Day 2 he lasted until lunchtime and decided he wanted to hang out and play...So Kerry and I had a lot of fun skiing the entire afternoon without him....Kerry enjoyed not having to squat down the entire way down the slopes with Kohen.....Kerry and Kohen would ski down both blue and green slopes no problem like this:).....
On Saturday late afternoon once the ski lifts closed, you could purchase a ticket and ride a tube down the bunny slope....Kohen was super excited about this and had the BEST time....I even rode down twice with him and it was a lot of fun:) .....



We got up early (4:30 NM time) and headed out so that we could get home in the afternoon on Sunday...We made 3 stops and arrived in WF at 2:15....So that was nice...We were able to completely unpack, play with Kresee, eat dinner and get to bed at a decent time...And thankfully I was off work today....I've done all the laundry and the house is back in order.....
We honestly had the best time and I think Kohen was at a perfect age for his first time skiing....We can't wait to go back...I would like to try and make this an every year trip if possible....
We had some pics taken by the ski photographers that I will try and scan to post as well soon....









No comments: