Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ellie--our foster

I have wanted to try fostering for quite some time now....With Biskit being gone almost 3 years now and Sage is approaching her 1 year mark next month, I thought I was ready...I look daily at the Humane Society and City of Animal Services FB page...They are in dire need of fosters...Constantly, my heart aches for all the dogs that are abandoned, turned over, dumped, lost and never looked for, etc....I saw this sweet face last week..."Meet 7-15"...Meaning she will be put to sleep on July 15th if no one claims her...On Friday, Kresee said I would like a girl dog and I want to name her Ellie...Again, this face popped in my head...So I casually mentioned her to Kerry...Then again on Saturday (July 14th) around 1:00 I mentioned her again...I knew Animal Control closed at 2:00...I looked back on FB and asked if she was still there...She was--no one had claimed her nor could the Humane Society pull her b/c they are completely full...Kerry could tell I was very concerned about the sweet dog and told me to call...I tried calling about 5 mins till 2 but no one answered the phone...So we talked about fostering her...He was willing to give it a try...I emailed the girl at the City since my sister is good friends with her...I explained that we would take her if they would hold her through Monday since she would be put down on either that Sunday or Monday...We saw my sister at dinner that night and she contacted the Executive Director out at the Humane Society and the girl from the City again so she knew what dog I was wanting them to pull for me on Monday...I was excited and nervous...Sunday was hard knowing she had to stay there one more whole day and one more night:(...I did go to PetSmart and get her a new collar with her own tag on Sunday
Monday came and they don't open till 11:00...I called the foster coordinator at the Humane Society and asked when they would be pulling her for me...She had to contact other people and those people had to go over there to do her heartworm test...So we planned on meeting at 3:00...So I had to wait several more extremely long hours...Thank goodness Kerry took off work b/c we had the plumber come that morning and the A/C people come that afternoon (more lightning stuff to fix)...

I got to the City of Animal Services/Reclaim Center right at 3...Went in and they happen to have a Foster Application from the Humane Society there and so I filled it out while I waited on the volunteer from the HS....She arrived and then the Animal Reclaim worker took my collar and leash went and got Ellie for me...She came right out and then got down on all fours and crawled to me on her little belly...I thought she looked for sure like a Beagle/Jack Russell mix...She let me love on her for about 5 minutes...They told me that HS people were not able to do the heartworm test...She wouldn't let them near her..Then we got to go to the car and head out to the Humane Society for shots....She didn't jump in the car, but got right in and sat down...Didn't budge the whole drive out to the HS...I think she was probably terrified and wondering what in the world was going on....

We got to the HS and walked in...The 2 people who had tried to do her heartworm testing were very surprised at how good she was with me and said she was very nasty/wanted to bite them...I can't imagine why...She had been at Animal Control for several days, locked up in a cage and scared out of her mind when 2 people were coming at her...But she didn't want to go with them...She did get her shots...They guesstimated she was between 2 and 3 year...We decided on 3 years old...We headed back home...This time she wanted in my lap and she didn't move...I told Kerry we were on our way...I said she looked good---no ticks that I saw...I said I did see one flea...So that meant there were a million more if there was one...
Kerry was waiting for me outside...We scrubbed her down for about 15 mins and got tons of fleas off her...I love that shampoo; it kills them instantly and they just fall off...After her bath, we brushed her which made her coat so smooth and shiny...She was like a brand new dog...
Then it was time to introduce her to the dogs...We were both pretty nervous about this...I thought she would be a little snippy...And Parker loves to growl and be rude...Hunter sometimes growls...I know both of my dogs have never bit nor ever try to bite...So I was worried about Ellie...We let Hunter come first....Kerry walked her around the cul-de-sac and I walked Hunter out..She growled several times at Hunter...Hunter didn't make a sound; he can't hear so he didn't even know it...We walked and walked them and let them do all their smelling...Then they were fine....
Since we had the brush out, we went ahead and brushed Hunter and let Ellie hang out...It was a hot day but we had a great breeze so it wasn't too bad...
Then it was rude dog's turn....I was really worried about them meeting...Ellie was so dog gone tired already, I think it helped...She growled a little...But we just walked and walked them by each other and then Kerry walked them together...I was surprised at how well it all went....
We let the dogs all chill out together outside in the garage together for a little bit while we waited on the kids...The first of many naps Ellie took that day....
We then, after several hours, of hanging and walking outside went inside with all the dogs still on leashes...That was a whole different story...We had to basically start over with re-introducing the dogs inside....My sister brought the kids home..When they walked in, it was the first time I saw Ellie wag her tail...She went right up to the kids and wanted to say hi to them and lick them...That made me feel great...We hung out in the living room floor all together...After about 20 mins, we let the dogs off their leashes...Ellie needed one good correction from my sister and then she was good...We went back outside and let them play in the backyard some....
She really liked the kids and was doing very well...Our dogs then decided they would do the growling and were starting to be rude, so we had to keep correcting them....
We went on another walk around the neighborhood with all 3 dogs...Leslie said to make sure we got them all good and tired...I think we did a good job...She does pretty well on the leash....

We went back home and back outside...She loves to rare up on Kohen and let him just pet/love on her...
Before long, she was resting under the swing...
Then she took another nap....
We went inside to feed everyone..She wouldn't eat anything...I wasn't too concerned...Back outside later that night...More loving from Kohen....
She slept in our room in Sage's old crate with no problems...She didn't whine or cry...Parker needed out at 1 am and she went out too...Then came back and slept in the crate all night...She did not eat breakfast again this morning, but is having a good day with us...She loves to snuggle and lay by you...She is a lazy little thing...I think we are going to enjoy her very much...

No comments: