Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bannie Chicks + Markie


Arkie (brown on the far left), Sharkie (brown with stripe on his head), Lawnchy (blonde), Archie (big black one in the middle), and Markie (little black one of the far right)

We have started letting the chicks out in our backyard while Kerry cleans out their bin...The first night they just stood there in shock and didn't move....Then we did it again a few days later....This was Kresee's first experience up close with the chicks...We've only allowed her up to this point to just peek in on them while they are in their bin...She was soooooo pumped about it...."Hiiiiiiii, baby titens"...."Wanna eat"...."Ohhhhh, hiiiiii baby".....She was in LOVE!!.....They actually flew around a little and ventured off some...But they really just like to be close to people...
I mean look how little they are compared to Miss Kresee....


The funniest thing was that they poop A LOT...So there was a little spot in the yard...I kept telling Kresee to watch out for the poop when she was sitting in the grass...Well she stood up and stuck her hand right in it...You would have thought it was killing her...She bawled!!...I had to take her in immediately and scrub her hand...."shooowee titen poopoo"..."poopoo shoooweee"...I couldn't stop laughing and I HAD to take pics of this super sad face (haha)
GET IT OFF OF ME!!!!

Then last night we let them out again....Kohen and I sat in the yard while Kresee fed them as much as possible..."Eat, eat"....She was determined to fill up their little bellies....

Here is Kresee's hand (on the left) and Kohen's hand (on the right) feeding the chicks...
And on a sad note: (yes, another sad story)
Kerry and I have been a little concerned about our little black one, Markie....He was one that Kerry bought from Atwood's....He ate and drank and pooped just fine...Yesterday, we just keep talking about something not being quite right with him...I was concerned b/c the other 4 have clearly grown and he honestly still looked tiny....Technically he's almost 4 weeks old now!...Kerry was bothered by the fact that he never would lay down....He would sleep standing up...The other chicks will sack out and are lounged out everywhere and he just stands there with his eyes closed...I went and looked in on him last night and he was huddled with the rest of them, but standing as usual....Not 30 mins later, I looked again and he was flat on his little belly...I was soooo excited to prove to Kerry that he DOES lay down...I got and get Kerry to come and look at Markie laying down...So we stand there and I knew....The poor thing was not moving nor breathing...I just lost it....My eyes are swollen today from crying so much...I had to hold him and love on him while Kerry dug a little hole in our flower bed next to Marfie....It just breaks my heart b/c the others are thriving and doing so well....I just hate that we don't really know what was wrong with him...In our hearts, I guess we were right thinking something was off....Sweet Dreams little Markie....
So this baby chicken thing is totally amazing!, but gosh I might be scarred for life! dealing with 2 deaths these past few weeks...Just kills me.....Praying that the other 4 are A-OK and that they grow and stay healthy.....B/C honestly seeing this just melts my heart:)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Every time you talk about another one dying it breaks my heart too. Poor little chicks.